Acer Predator Helios 300 Laptop Review (2018)

Technology Laptops and Desktops Acer Predator Helios 300 Laptop Review (2018)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by JT 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JT
    Admin
    174 Prestige

I went looking for a laptop online, did a lot of research, and now I want to share with you my buying criteria and about my experience with this laptop. If you don’t need a high-end gaming laptop, but still want something with some solid power, post in these forums and I’ll see if I can help you find something.

My Buying Criteria

When I start looking for a laptop, the first thing I do is find out what the leading processors and graphics cards are right now in the laptop space.

This is less difficult than you’d assume. It isn’t a matter of knowing anything about processors and graphics cards, its a matter of looking at things called “benchmarks” to find out how processors and graphics cards compare to each other.

I get a feel for these benchmarks, so that when I then look at laptops I can start to pick out names of processors and graphics cards.

You may note that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060-6GB is the graphics card that comes with the Acer Predator Helios 300. It’s one of the best graphics cards available, considered a high-end as of April 2018. It isn’t as good as the 1070 or 1080, but those processors are only available in laptops that end up adding $600-$1000 to the price of a 1060 laptop. Meanwhile you see that most laptops around the $1000 mark use the 1050 Ti, and when you compare the two you find out the GTX 1060-GB runs circles around the 1050 Ti all day.

Next I took a look at processor. I wasn’t as passionate about processor speed, because these days it is hard to need that much processor power since all of the crazy new technology is graphics-based. Still I didn’t want a poor processor to limit my performance when gaming or generating graphics.

Again, I wanted something that kept up on the benchmarks within 20% of the best processor, but at like half the cost. The i7-7700HQ which comes in this Acer Predator Helios 300 does that.

Other laptops are trying to be passed off for the same price with slower i3s and i5s.

If your budget is around $1000, you aren’t going to find another laptop with that GPU and CPU combo. If you want that combo elsewhere you’ll add a few hundred to your price.

That’s my buying decision, and even then note that this laptop doesn’t slack on RAM, hard drive speed, and battery life. The only areas where it doesn’t beat the competition is storage space (not a big deal for me in a cloud-based world) and screen brilliance.

Specs

Screen Size 15.6 Inches
    Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
    Processor Intel Core i7-7700HQ 3.8GHz 4 Core
    Graphics Processor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060-6GB
    RAM 16GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Hard Drive 256GB Solid-State Drive
    Wireless Type 802.11 A/C
    USB Ports 4 (2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0)
    Battery Life 7 Hours While Browsing Web
    Operating System Windows 10
    Weight 5.95 Lbs

My Assessment

The first thing I did when I opened my laptop, after setting up Windows 10 and all that, was download Steam and find the game I’ve been playing recently. Then, I went and downloaded my favorite recording software. The laptop was able to fully take advantage of my internet speeds, so no barriers there for me.

I ran the game Empyrion on highest settings, it looked great and ran perfect. I recorded in 1080p, and everything came out 100% smooth. The microphone is good for a laptop built-in microphone, but of course not a good enough quality for a gaming voiceover.

So far so good on the speed and gameplay of the laptop.

The look and feel of the laptop is great. It seems very sturdy, in fact a little on the heavier side, and the keyboard is much better than my previous laptop’s keyboard. For people used to curved, huge 4k screens, the 1080p screen may seem a little dull. For me it looks fantastic!

The sound on the Predator Helios 300 seems really good so far, with your head positioned at a normal distance there is an immersive feel to the sound.

I will update this review if I find anything I’m not satisfied with. Right now it feels like a very high-end purchase for a mid-level laptop price, so I am definitely digging it.

All-in-all I am very satisfied with my purchase! I got mine from Amazon.com here.

JT
    Admin
    174 Prestige

A month later and I’m really digging this Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop as my primary device. I use it for gaming and video recording on a weekly basis.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.