2018 March Madness Men's Basketball, First 16 Seed Victory

Sports Basketball Forums 2018 March Madness Men's Basketball, First 16 Seed Victory

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by JT 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

JT
    Admin
    174 Prestige

If you have been keeping up with this tournament, I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate the history that was made when the 16 seed UMBC absolutely crushed the 1st seed Virginia.

Some of you may have immediately ripped up your bracket, others may have been delighted because you happened to select a 2 or 3 seed to take that final four slot instead of Virginia.

Starting in 1985 the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams, thus giving 4 opportunities a year for this sort of upset to happen.

In most sports, like football and baseball, a weaker team is bound to accidentally win a few games just because there are so few points and the variation in unique game-play situations is much higher.

But in basketball, especially in NCAA basketball, a really good team tends to more or less win every game which is why it took 135 matchups for a 16 seed to beat a 1 seed.

My only question now is, how do Virginia fans feel about this? Your school is known for being the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed.

I went to a university who sometimes is in the tournament, sometimes not, but no matter how terrible they are they at least aren’t known for losing a game!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.